Sunday, May 8, 2016

My Paula's Choice Skincare Routine // #PrimpLovesPaula #AD

This is a sponsored posted powered by Pretty in My Pocket


New season, new skincare. The warmer weather calls for a new set of products catered to my finicky skin (featuring huge pores, oiliness, and hyper-pigmentation). Thanks to Paula's Choice, I was set up with a brand spankin' new skincare routine.

To preface all of this, Paula's Choice is a website that I've been reading since my pre-blogging times. Back then, the Beautypedia section of the website was my go-to resource for informative beauty reviews. Many years later, the Paula's Choice came out with their own line of beauty and skincare products and I've heard nothing but good things about the brand (especially from Julie of 
Swatch and ReviewZoe of Writing Whimsy and Rae of the Notice). So, as someone who likes to try all the things, I was down to review some Paula's Choice. 

Paula's Choice has primo customer service and offers FREE skincare consultations to help y'all choose the best products for your skin. Because this is in partnership with Pretty in My Pocket, you too can book a consultation and get 20% off + free US shipping on Paula's Choice skincare with the code PRIMPSPRING. You're welcome :)                      >> shop here <<

In case you're wondering, the consult consisted of 4 questions regarding my skin type, skin concerns and sensitivities. If you haven't read one of my skincare posts before... My skin type is combination oily. Particularly around my nose and forehead. My skincare concerns revolve around XL pores on and around my nose, as well as some hyper-pigmentation on my cheeks. 

The consultation yielded both an AM and PM routine consisting of 6 products in total. 

MORNING


Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Oil-Reducing Cleanser ($25)
a lightly foaming cleanser removes dirt and oil without stripping skin or leaving a hint of residue.

The Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Oil-Reducing Cleanser is effective, as it foams quickly and removes excess dirt, oil and makeup from the skin. It's also super gentle, and I can even use it on my very sensitive eyes. Every time I've used the cleanser, I have not experienced dryness or sticky residue. Definitely going to stick with this one for the long-term.


Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Pore-Reducing Toner ($20)
a lightly hydrating toner regulates oily skin and minimizes pores while its potent antioxidants, anti-irritants and cell-communicating ingredients go to work to restore and repair damaged skin.

While my skin doesn't feel any different after using this toner, the Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Pore-Reducing Toner is the nicest non-alcohol smelling toner I've ever used and doesn't sting my skin. 

a water-light liquid exfoliant works quickly to smooth fine lines and wrinkles, unclog and minimize pores, and eliminate blackheads and bumps.

The Paula's Choice Resist Daily Pore-Refining Treatment with 2% BHA is a unique delivery of acid treatment through a water-like liquid. Again, acids I've used previously have a slight stinging sensation. This one doesn't. After using it for a couple weeks, I've noticed the blackheads and sebum on my nose have been reduced. On the downside, I was probably having a bad week at school (and eating too much sugar and bread), so the treatment didn't quite manage to prevent acne fully. 

a daytime moisturizer with sunscreen designed for normal to oily skin with signs of aging. Its multi-purpose formula not only protects skin from sun damage, but also fortifies it with potent antioxidants. This gentle, mineral-based formula has a sheer tint that works beautifully for all skin tones, whether worn alone or under foundation.


The Paula's Choice Resist Super-Light Wrinkle Defence SPF 30 is a tinted suncreen/moisturizer. The product sinks quickly into the skin leaving no excess greasiness. The shade is too pale (in other words, it has a white cast) for my light/medium complexion, so I feel the need to wear foundation on top.

Cleanser, Resist Super-Light Wrinkle Defense, Resist Anti-Aging Clear Skin Hydrator

EVENING


For my nighttime routine, the Paula's Choice consultant recommended the same first three steps as my morning routine - the Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Oil-Reducing Cleanser, Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Pore-Reducing Toner, and Paula's Choice Resist Daily Pore-Refining Treatment With 2% BHA

I followed those three steps with...

The RESIST Clear Skin Hydrator contains an exclusive complex of proven anti-wrinkle and skin-clearing ingredients that renew and restore your skin, making it look younger, even-toned, and fresh.  Powerful antioxidants and skin-repairing ingredients stimulate healthy collagen production, repair sun damage, and fade red marks and discolorations from past breakouts.

...Mixed with 2-3 drops 
Paula's Choice Resist C15 Super Booster ($48)
RESIST C15 is a concentrated 15% Vitamin C that works to brighten skin, fade brown spots, and prevent signs of aging.

The Paula's Choice Resist Anti-Aging Clear Skin Hydrator mixed with the C15 Super Booster is meant to brighten the skin and fade past breakouts. I haven't noticed any changes to my sun-induced freckling or hyperpigmentation from breakouts. On a positive note, the Clear Skin Hydrator is an amazing nighttime moisturizer for my oily/combo skin. When I wake up, my skin feels hydrated but not greasy.

All in all, I think I'm on the fence about this skincare routine. While I'd definitely repurchase products like the Skin Balancing Oil-Reducing Cleanser, the Treatment with 2% BHA and the Clear Skin Hydrator, I don't think the Paula's Choice skincare routine lived up to the hype... yet. Personally, I'd pass on the tinted sunscreen and the toner. As for the Vitamin C Treatment, I'll need at least a couple more months to decide whether it's going to remain in my skincare routine. 

Have you ever tried Paula's Choice skincare? 

Press samples featured. Paula's Choice has a 100% Money Back Guarantee (within 60 days), does not test on animals and contains no irritating dyes or fragrances. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments brighten my day!