Friday, April 19, 2013

GUEST POST: Flower Nail Art Tutorial with Makeup and Masala!


Hey All! Trying out something different today...A cute little nail art tutorial from Anna of Makeup and Masala... Hope you enjoy! :) 

 I’m thrilled to be doing a guest post for Steph!! I love reading her blog; her posts always make me laugh (like when she posted a picture of herself in a Jeunesse Mask). 

I did a floral pattern because I’m so excited it’s spring, and also, a lot of floral patterns popped up on the runways for Spring 2013:





I used Julep Taylor as the base, Butter London Royal Navy for the dark flowers, and NYC French White for the white flowers. I did all the dark blue flowers first and then did the white flowers.


Here’s a tutorial for how I did the larger, dark blue flowers:



  1. Paint your nails with a base coat and your base color (here, I used Julep Taylor). Make sure your nails are dry before going on to the next step!
  2. Place a blob of the color you want to use on a sheet of paper. Dip the round end of a bobby pin (or a dotting tool, if you have one) in the color. Make one dot with the bobby pin, and then re-dip it before making the next one. Place 5 dots in the formation of the petals of a flower as shown above.
  3. Using a toothpick, start in the center of one of the dots and drag the toothpick to the center of the 5 dots (where you want the center of the flower to be). There will be a little streak of color that follows the path you dragged the toothpick. Repeat for the other 4 dots. Make sure to drag the dots to the same place.
  4. Let the flowers dry completely before sealing your nails with top coat!


TIPS:
  • When making dots for the flowers, try not to let the dots touch each other when you first make them.
  • You want the dots to have enough nail polish on them that they are not completely flat; they should form little domes. If not, you won’t have much nail polish to drag to the center in Step 3.
  • If you’re having a hard time getting them to look like flowers, practice on a sheet of paper before doing them on your nails.
  • Larger flowers can be easier to make than smaller ones; master making larger ones first. 


The smaller white flowers were simply 5 dots that I placed close enough to look like a flower. If there was blue space in the center after the 5 dots, I did a sixth dot in the center of the white flower to make the middle of the flower white. I just kind of did the flowers at random, but if you have a hard time with doing things at random, try matching where you place your flowers with where I placed mine. One last tip: I also found that the design looks better if you have some flowers hanging off the edges of your nails (meaning, make some partial flowers).

Thank you Steph for letting me do a guest post, and thank you all for reading this! I hope you try this, and let me know if you have any questions!


Wanna guest post? Check out the "CONTACT" page! 

14 comments:

  1. How cute! And so easy. :D Thanks for this great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww love this! Love putting flowers on my toes! My fingers just chip too fast or else I'd put them on there too :D Great post and perfect for this springtime weather we're getting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips! I bought a dotting tool but haven't used it yet, this has really inspired me to give it a go! :)

    grannygee.blogspot.com

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so cute and creative! That is such an easy way to make a flower! Thanks for sharing!

    raspberry-notes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the design!

    http://heyitsemily25.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it ! It's really pretty !
    It makes me think of hawai.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute nails! :)
    Found your blog through the blog hop! Following :)
    http://firstpersonshopper.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  8. so pretty!

    p.s. I'm having a Bonlook sunglasses giveaway if you'd like to check it out!
    devorelebeaumonstre.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love doing flowers on my nails using this method!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Steph, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  11. AMAZING POST!!!!
    Would you like to follow each other?! Let me know!! :)
    http://allthingsyouare.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete

Your comments brighten my day!